A HUGE tourist attraction here are all of the churches. And rightly so, they are beautiful. Incredibly elaborate and ornate. They have high ceilings that are made of gold, have gorgeous murals and awesome architecture. They truly are a sight to see. These churches are an attraction not only because of the amazing architecture, but also because of the history behind them. Mozart was baptized in one of the cathedrals in Salzburg and he also performed in many of the churches around the area. People who love music and him want to come see that as well.
I've noticed this all over Europe, not just in Salzburg. In Vienna, London, Prague, and Munich, the same trend stays constant: people love to tour and see churches. Pretty much every tourist in any European city goes to visit these crazy churches to take pictures.
so did I.
But what about Jesus?
Three specific things have really gotten me thinking more about this subject....
1. The second day being in Salzburg, we went on a city tour and went to a famous church on the top of a mountain. Of course it was breathtaking. When we were inside, it was dark and the mood was very somber. You could hear the choir, or maybe just a cd.. singing. or playing.. quietly in the background. There are candles around that you can light if you pay 50 cents. Up at the front of the church there was an alter and an enormous cross with Jesus on it.
The church was full of people.
Everyone was walking around with their fanny packs around their waist, sunglasses on their head, water bottle in their hand, and cameras up to their face snapping pictures of everything.
There's nothing wrong with that.. I'm being a tourist too. But its got me thinking. It seems that everyone comes to these churches solely to see how cool they are.. do people even consider Jesus when they enter into this place of worship?
When we left the church and began our trek down the mountain, Rebecca said,
"I just wonder..in all of that, God, are you glorified?"
2. The next thing that got me thinking about this happened that next weekend. We were in Munich and we had just gotten done visiting a church there. A few of us were walking around the city, trying to find the subway. We were kind of in a rush so we weren't being too observant and attentive to our surroundings, but something did catch my attention. We walked past a group of about 5-7 people about my age that were singing. One had a guitar and they were singing Matt Redman's song that goes "I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it, when it's all about you, it's all about you, Jesus."
What's interesting about that song is that whenever he wrote it, it was out of conviction because he felt like it was easy to get caught up and worried about things about church. Things like the set up of the stage, the lights, and all that when really.. it's all about Jesus.
"I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it."
So anyways, it was really a beautiful thing to hear that group of people singing. In the middle of this incredibly busy city. In the very center of all the hustle and bustle, you hear this group of students singing
"I'm coming back to the heart of worship, where it's all about You, it's all about Jesus."
Beautiful. Jesus smiles.
3. The last thing that got me thinking about this happened on the train ride back from Prague, two weeks ago. It's the same guy that I talked about in my last post, but this man sharing our compartment on the train started to talk to us about church. He was from somewhere in Czech, close to Prague, and he was a Christian. He was telling us about how in Prague, there are so many people. There are so many tourists everywhere.
"But the churches are empty. There is no on one in them. There is no passion."
sad.
But, it is the truth. It's exactly what I have noticed from the second day in Salzburg. The main event in these churches is photography.
Lord, are you glorified?
You know when you have a song stuck in your head.. for 4 weeks? I do. I have almost constantly been thinking of a song while I have been in Salzburg. Every time I walk alone or just randomly, this song comes into my mind:
"Let what we do in here, fill the streets out there.."
I know that the church is not a building. The church is the body of believers, God's people. But I just have been thinking.. I would love if the main event that happened at these churches, was no longer tourism. I would love it if God was glorified and magnified in those places even more.
I pray, that what happens in the hearts of those who know Jesus Christ and the power in His resurrection, that that passion and sincerity, would fill the streets and fill the churches of Salzburg.
YOU are the God of this city, be glorified.
j. you have such a heart for the kingdom.
ReplyDeleteit's true. you have a huge heart. love you.
ReplyDeletelet what we do in here, fill the streets out there, let me dance for you, let me dance for you.
you are wise beyond your years, Jen.